Front Axle Shaft Failure and how to ELIMINATE it:
- The Problem...Four steps to axle shaft failure when equipped with the 5-760X u-joint:
- The axleshaft is overloaded with 33" or larger tires and lockers.
- The "ears" on the axle shaft flex creating an ob-round (oval) shape around the u-joint cap.
- The u-joint cap breaks away at the retaining clip, causing the clip to fall off.
- The u-joint cap works its way out of the axle shaft causing catastrophic axle shaft failure.
We Provide you with a plate to weld in over the top of each u-joint cap. This plate eliminates flex in the axle shaft "ears" around the u-joint cap. This plate positively retains the u-joint cap, meaning failure is not an option. This kit will make your axle shafts stronger than Spicer 297X and 760X u-joints.It is still possible to see an axle shaft failure, but ONLY after u-joint failure.We have had great results using this kit on our shop XJ with very heavy 35 x 13.5 BFG Krawlers and a fairly aggressive driving style. We use OEM Dana axle shafts, Spicer 760X u-joints, and our Almost Alloy Kit and we have not been able to break an axle shaft or u-joint yet! The unbelievably low price: $38.21 gets you the full 8 piece kit to upgrade both front axle shafts.
What it fits: Any vehicle with the 5-760X front axle u-joint as long as there is 1/8"+ clearance around the u-joint caps. All 95 and newer Jeep vehicles including XJ Cherokees. 1984-1994 Jeep Cherokees with upgraded front axle shafts. Most older Jeep Vehicles. All Dana 44 front axles. Most Dana 30 front axles. Most 1/2 or 3/4 ton solid front axle Chevrolet, Ford, or Dodge vehicles.
Note: We highly recommend installing a new Spicer 5-760X or stronger u-joint at the time of installation. Replacing the u-joint (if ever required) will require cutting the Almost Alloy plates off the axle shaft (not difficult using the right tool, such as an air cut-off or angle grinder with cutting disc).
NOTE: Will not work on JK Dana 30's and Dana 44's.